This week’s term: Calling – The work of God in summoning or bringing men to Himself. This is revealed to us in scripture in two basic senses:
- The gospel call, (general call) which goes forth in the Word of God and which is conveyed to men by preaching. This may be regarded as a general call which is issued to all men who hear and potentially issued to all men everywhere.
- The Spirit’s call, (effectual call) which goes directly to the hearts of God’s elect, and which the effect is regeneration. This is not a general call but a personal and effectual call. It is actually the determining as to whether the general call ever takes saving effect, and is always finally obeyed. (1 Corinthians 1:23-24)
Last week’s term: Imputation – The act of imputing or crediting to one’s account. It carries three basic senses in the Bible
- The sin of Adam being credited or imputed to all offspring.
- The sin of the elect of Adam’s fallen race being imputed to Christ.
- The righteousness of Christ being imputed to the believer or the elect of Adam’s race.